Catholic Charities of Kansas City-St. Joseph
Position Title: Director of Finance
Location: Kansas City
Status: Full-time, exempt
Reports to: CEO
*To apply please send cover letter and resume to email@example.com
The Director of Finance is responsible for leading a team that manages the recording, reconciliation, reporting and analysis of the company's financial results within a system of internal accounting controls. The role requires technical proficiency in generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP). Both operational and strategic in nature, the Director of Finance role requires the ability to manage and prioritize the recurring operations of the Accounting function as well as provide strategic analysis of business operations or transactions on behalf of the agency. The Director of Finance is responsible for applying his or her professional knowledge and skills in the preparation and presentation of financial and other decision oriented information to assist the Board and management in the formulation of policies and strategic planning in support of the overall agency mission and goals.
The position encompasses board reporting, cash management, financial reporting, grant financial management, payroll processing, service fee billing, year-end audit (including Single Audit of federal financial assistance) and tax returns, employee benefit plan audits and 5500 filings, and the direction of budget and forecast activities.
The position is the primary interface with banking partners, investment management firms, actuaries and audit firms, as well as the staff liaison to the Audit and Pension/Investment Committees of the Board of Directors.
- Contribute to the overall mission of the agency through supportive services to clients and staff
- Manage and oversee the daily operations of the accounting department
- Demonstrate a thorough understanding of the financial reporting and general ledger structure
- Coordinate department workload; review account reconciliations, accruals, and financial statements for reasonableness and compliance with GAAP
- Ensure timeliness and quality is achieved within the recurring financial statement close process
- Demonstrate technical proficiency in researching and documenting accounting policy and guidance related to business operations and transactions on behalf of the agency
- Establish and enforce proper accounting policies and methods
- Coordinate completion of annual audit, tax returns and regulatory filings
- Analyze and interpret financial information that management needs in order to make sound business decisions
- Monitor and analyze department workflow to develop more efficient procedures and use of resources while maintaining a high level of accuracy
- Advise staff regarding the handling of non-routine reporting transactions
- Monitor and project cash flow needs
- Accomplish human resource objectives by recruiting, selecting, orienting, training, assigning, scheduling, coaching, counseling, and disciplining employees; communicating job expectations; planning, monitoring, appraising, and reviewing job contributions; planning and reviewing compensation actions; enforcing policies and procedures.
- Update job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities; reading professional publications; maintaining personal networks; participating in professional organizations.
- The marginal functions of this position have not been included herein. This job description in no way implies that these are the only duties to be performed. An employee will be required to follow any other job-related duties required by the organization.
- Advanced computer skills on MS Office, accounting software and databases
- Thorough knowledge of accounting principles, state and federal regulations, and policies and procedures as they relate to financial statements.
- High attention to detail and accuracy
- Ability to direct and supervise and manage priorities of a team
- Demonstrated experience in month and year-end closings and preparation of financial statements.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to multi-task, work under pressure and meet deadlines required.
- Strong communicator who thrives in an extremely fast-paced environment and can effectively manage deadlines
- Ability to recognize potential issues and proactively propose solutions.
- Time management and organizational skills; ability to work independently
Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or related area of study. CPA/Public Accounting experience preferred.
Eight years of relevant experience including a minimum of five years of accounting experience in a managerial/professional role. Nonprofit accounting experience strongly preferred.