Executive Director Institute
The Executive Director Institute (EDI) is an extended learning opportunity exclusively for nonprofit executive directors. Course content weaves together theory, experience and context to help leaders evolve, keep up with best practices and learn new ways to creatively deal with the full range of organizational issues.
2023 Executive Director Institute | Members Only - $1,000
Selection for participation in EDI is by application. The application deadline for the 2023 cohort is now closed. To add yourself to the waiting list for 2024 please fill out this short form.
Executive Director Institute Structure
In 2023, Nonprofit Connect will host both a virtual cohort and an in-person cohort of Executive Director Institute.
Virtual Dates and Times:
The virtual EDI will meet bi-monthly on Tuesdays from 9:00-12:00 PM via Zoom on the following dates:
- Jan 10 and Jan 24
- Feb 7 and Feb 21
- Mar 7 and Mar 28
- Apr 11 and Apr 25
- May 9 and May 23
- June 6 and June 20
In-Person Dates and Times:
The in-person EDI will meet once monthly on Thursdays from 9:00-4:00 PM at Nonprofit Connect's Office at 1703 Wyandotte, Suite 100, Kansas City, MO 64108. The in-person session will take place on the following dates:
- Jan 26
- Feb 23
- Mar 30
- Apr 27
- May 25
- June 22
Executive Director Institute curriculum includes:
- Nonprofit Trends
- Leadership Challenges and Opportunities
- Board Management
- Strategic Planning
- Resource & Fund Development
- Marketing/Communications & Media Relations
- Organization & Productivity
- Stress Reduction & Work/Life Balance
At the end of Executive Director Institute, participants can expect to:
- have increased leadership confidence and capacity,
- know how to build relationships with board members,
- have the tools to plan and manage a budget and the knowledge to guide a financially sustainable nonprofit,
- learn the components of development and fundraising and the ED’s role in the development program,
- have an understanding of communication strategies needed to reach new audiences and raise public awareness,
- adapt to a changing and complex landscape,
- and be energized for the long haul.
Guidelines for Executive Director Institute participation
- Currently serve as a paid executive director, president or CEO of a nonprofit organization
- Executive Director's organization must have tax exempt status at the time of application
- Executive Director's organization must be or become a Nonprofit Connect member (Not yet a member? Learn more.)
- Participants commit to attending all 12 sessions for the virtual cohort or all 6 sessions of the in person cohort.
- Pay the tuition in full by January 6 to reserve a seat in the class
Selection for participation in EDI is by application. The application for the 2023 cohort is now closed. To put yourself on the waiting list for 2024, please fill out this short form.